Thursday, July 4, 2013

DIY Patriotic Shorts!

As you can tell from the title, today is a DIY post inspired by the Fourth of July!

I had never really been in to "stars and stripes" as a fashion statement before, but this summer I am really feeling it! On Pinterest I have seen some really neat scarves inspired by  the American flag! I am definitely lusting over this one.

Taking some of my own inspiration from the American Flag, I DIY-ed some shorts on Tuesday! 


Here are the steps to make your own!

Start with a pair of plain blue jean shorts.


I painted one side completely white. I used acrylic paint I had lying around the house, fabric paint would probably be better though! 


I printed a star off the computer onto card stock and cut out the inside to make a stencil.


Put the stencil onto the shorts and paint in the lines. Try and keep the paint brush straight up so it doesn't smear outside the lines. As you see in the picture below I tried to hold the stencil down in as many places as possible. A sponge brush probably be best, but again, I just used what I had!



After painting on all the stars, wait for all the white paint to dry. If you are impatient - like I am - you can hurry it up with a blow dryer.


Use masking tape to tape off the areas you want to stay white.


Paint red!


Peel the tape off carefully and wait for the front to dry!


Once the front is dry, flip and paint the back pockets too! 


All done! This was a fast, easy and free project that is great for the Fourth of July! Or any other day you are feeling patriotic! Let me know if you do this project too!

I also painted my nails today using this tutorial from The Beauty Department. I just used different colors!


Are you guys doing anything fun for the Fourth of July? I get to see Natalie!!! Yay!

Ciao, Robin Malia

2 comments:

  1. Hello Robin,
    I am Christy, Erin's friend. I appreciate you commenting on my blog and directing me to yours, because I love it! This DIY shorts tutorial is AWESOME... I am definitely going to try these out. This is an amazing blog and I cannot wait to keep following you. Have a blessed day.
    -Christy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Christy! I am so glad you like my blog! I'm definitely going to keep reading yours as well! Let me know if you do try out the shorts!
      -Robin

      Delete