Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Thankful for Thanksgiving

I moved into my dorm on campus in the middle of August. Since I live four hours away, I haven't been home to see my family since moving in. The amount of driving and the price of  gas  does not make a weekend visit justifiable. I would have gone home over fall break, but as you know I went to California then. Since I have a Tuesday night class, it made it difficult to catch a ride home with someone for Thanksgiving, so I had originally planned to just go home after exams. 

However, this past weekend, homesickness hit me really hard. I miss my mom. I miss my dad. I miss my brother. I miss my dog. I might even miss my cat (he's a grumpy-gus). 
I would love a weekend at home now, but I know that can't happen. My two suite mates saw how upset I was and ended up pressuring me (in a good way) to contact people who lived in my direction to see if I could end up riding home with them without inconveniencing anybody. 

Well, I am so glad that they did! Because now I get to see my family! I get to eat my mom's turkey. I get to help decorate for Christmas. I get to cuddle with my puppy. And best of all, I get to relax!

I am so excited, but I can't get ahead of myself. I have 21 days to go and a lot of school work to get done between now and then. There is an 8 page paper I have to write that isn't due until after Thanksgiving, but my goal is to finish it before I leave so I don't have to stress over it. 

I also have a group project. I'm not against them, however this one is getting off to a rocky start. Wish me luck!

In addition to school work, I have a lot of Study Abroad things to sort out. Lots of forms to fill out and workshops to attend. The biggest thing I am concerned about is figuring out where I'm going to live once I make it to England. I've sent some emails and hopefully I'll get some answers soon.

On a really awesome note, I bought plane tickets today!!! Ahh!!! It still doesn't feel real!

All in all, I am super excited and super thankful that I am able to go home and visit with my family before exams start. I'm most looking forward to go pick out our Christmas tree (Mom is letting us get a real one this year!) after eating our big Thanksgiving dinner. 

Do you have any Thanksgiving traditions you are looking forward to?

Love y'all, Robin Malia

No comments:

Post a Comment